Contact: Els Pauwels (PCS, Centre for Ornamental Plant Research)
This project aims to reduce water and fertilizer use in horticulture by using biostimulants and innovative tools. This combination will result in up to 20% reduction of water and 10% of fertilizers, depending on the crop. By including BS based on seaweeds, economic opportunities for seaweed producers will be created.
Innovative sensors allow growers to monitor plant responses to reduced water supply and to adjust irrigation accordingly. Analytic tools allow users to determine water and nutrient use efficiency. This project will result in pilot data on biostimulants, generate innovative tools and demonstrate them to support growers, producers of biostimulants and suppliers of substrates & fertilizers. The multi-stakeholder approach permits a successful realization of project objectives since expertise of all partners is complementary, ensuring a broad dissemination. A policy protocol will be presented to policy makers to help implement the new European legislation on biostimulants.
Contact: Rafael Ros (Generación de Agua)
This Life project involves the realization of a prototype installation (“pillot´´) for water desalination by reverse osmosis.
The innovation of this facility is its ability to work self-sufficiently, using only the mechanical energy generated by a wind turbine adapted to transmit said mechanical pumps high-pressure reverse osmosis system power directly.
Technical Objectives of the project:
- Design of mechanical transmission of wind energy from the wind turbine to pump high. It will include systems design gear boxes, shafts and couplings, bearings and brackets to the supporting structure.
- Modification of a commercial wind turbine for deployment in the system.
- Coupling mechanical transmission.
- Optimization module reverse osmosis and membrane selection for irregular work regime due to wind variations.
- Mitigation of climate change by reducing GHG emissions resulting from the use of sustainable energy to develop the process of desalination by reverse osmosis.
- Water supply in areas with supply problems for both human consumption and agriculture.